Re: GNOME 43.alpha builds in rawhide

OK, I think we are close to the finish line here.

Most of GNOME 43.alpha builds are done and gnome-shell and evolution-data-server stacks are both nicely switched over from libsoup 2 to libsoup 3. Huge thanks to Milan Crha for all the help with libsoup 3 porting and builds! It was quite an effort to get all of that done.

I've just submitted the update to Bodhi: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-1b0af1bd87 (hopefully it moves on from the pending state that it has been sitting in for last 45 minutes)

It was quite a tangled up release with numerous soname bumps and other snags. There's still more to do to get things switched over to all the new libraries and new sonames, but we should be in good working shape here with what we got now. Workstation media at least should be in fully installable shape and shell and apps roughly working. We did a few compat libraries as well to keep breakage to minimum.

There's quite a bit of breakage for other consumers though, sadly. There's a mutter soname bump and evolution-data-server soname bump, both of which affect other desktops. Milan and I rebuilt everything that wasn't FTBFS, but there's quite a number of packages still needing to be rebuilt. I can put together a list of FTBFS rebuilds tomorrow (it's late here) and send it to the list.

Various bits have switched over to libsoup 3 which also can cause breakage in consumers: it's not supported to link to both libsoup 2 and libsoup 3 in the same process, so care needs to be taken to only link to one of them.

Hopefully I managed to land this early enough to give enough time for people to deal with the fallout.

There's also the mass rebuild starting tomorrow and I think we should be in good shape for that.

Please let me know if you find any unexpected fallout. For issues with libsoup 3, Michael Catanzaro can help, and for evolution-data-server porting questions, Milan Crha.

--
Kalev