Re: Plan / proposal: enable openQA update testing and potentially gating on Rawhide updates

On Fri, 2022-06-10 at 08:56 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-06-09 at 12:48 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Currently this would usually mean a wait from update submission to
> > 'stable push' (which really means that the build goes into the
> > buildroot, and will go into the next Rawhide compose when it happens)
> > of somewhere between 45 minutes and a couple of hours.
>
> 	Hi,
> it is very convenient to `fedpkg chain-build ....` in the right order,
> do it in fire & forget way, check the whole chain build task in koji
> after some time and that's all. If it's going to take couple hours, the
> koji build will surely timeout.

Possibly. I'm not sure what the timeout on chain builds in Koji is. But
yes, that's a scenario worth looking at.

> I do the chain-build for stable branches too, just step in and set
> overrides for the packages when needed. It might be an outdated
> workflow, but it works for me for years.
>
> I understand the side tags are here to help. That means to file the
> update manually for rawhide, because the automatic updates won't make
> it, right? It sounds like more work and time for the packagers.

You have to trigger the update creation manually, yeah. I don't see an
easy way around that because there's no way the system can know when
you're 'done' doing builds. But it's something we could try and improve
at least, maybe make it easier to trigger the update creation too. What
if there were a command like chain-build that uses a side tag? Puts
each build into a side tag as it goes, then when all the builds are
done, automatically creates the update from the side tag?

> I see some of my packages are failing automated tests, specifically the
> rpminspect 'runpath' test.

That's a Fedora CI test, not an openQA one. This proposal would not
involve gating on that test, so it shouldn't change anything. It's
always worth taking a look at rpminspect failures/warnings and figuring
out what it's trying to tell you, though, sometimes it's worthwhile.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA