Re: Computer

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 12:48 PM Alejandro López <alejandrolopez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings, my name is Alejandro Lopez from Slimbook Computers and I'm writing this email following Matthew's advice.

We are hardware company committed to the flawless integration and improvement of the end user experience with the Linux OS and the hardware it runs on.
Awesome.

We were given the chance to work together with the KDE team back in 2016 when other laptop brands didn't even think about it, and after getting the approval from both parties, the objective of our collaboration was the birth of a modern and sleek device that excelled in performance and provided a flawless user experience for the community.

The intent of this email is to let you know that the current demand for your amazing Fedora distribution is 2% from all our orders, and we think that this should change. I've sent to Matthew some general reports on which distros are currently in demand from our customers, and KDE Neon had an exponential growth versus other distros.

What are your thoughts on this situation?
So my first thought is, it seems that some people on this thread are assuming you're asking for shipping KDE on Fedora on a Slimbook, but that wasn't my understanding based on your mail.

My understanding based on your mail was that you were asking about how to get a higher percentage of Fedora Workstation pre-install orders. Is that right? If I'm misunderstanding and your
mail really was about kde on fedora on slimbooks and not Fedora Workstation on Fedora on Slimbooks, then sorry and disregard the rest of this mail.

You also mentioned that KDE Neon has exponential growth compared to other distros. What percentage of that is coming from the KDE Slimbook product versus one of the less specialized/kde-branded offerings?

If the lion's share of kde preinstalls are from purchasing the kde branded laptop product, one way to get more Fedora installs would be to potentially offer a Fedora branded laptop
(e.g. have a fedora.slimbook.es selling a Fedora Slimbook next to kde.slimbook.es selling a KDE Slimbook)

When Lenovo partnered with us to do Fedora specific laptops, we mentioned it in Fedora Magazine and there was other press as well (zdnet etc).  Maybe we could do something like that for slimbooks as well.

Lenovo also offered a modest discount to fedora contributors (I think anyone with a fedoraproject.org email alias?).  That might be one way to attract fedora community members to the slimbook.
Of course, there are a lot more fedora users than fedora developers, so it might not help all that much.

Ray