Re: Drawing glitches in virtual machine and Firefox in f35

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 3:12 AM Milan Crha <mcrha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         Hi,
> since I upgraded to Fedora 35 I immediately noticed drawing glitches in
> a virtual machine (virt-manager) and since an update to Firefox 94.0
> also there (for example when opening menus), thus I guess it has
> something to do with the graphics drivers or something like that.

Do you think it may be kernel related? i.e. had you already updated to
kernel 5.14 series before upgrading to Fedora 35? If it's not
correlated to kernel version, then it seems more likely the
compositor. But I don't know anything about how to narrow down the
problem in the compositor - but found this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/MATE#Troubleshooting

> X.org under MATE and I had never any such issue before the upgrade to
> f35 (I do run many virtual machines for various testing reasons, thus
> I'd surely notice). I tried to record the screen, but the created video
> does not exhibit the problem.

Hmm so that perhaps suggests an issue after compositing?

You could try a 5.15 series kernel, which is not yet released to
stable repo in Fedora but is available in koji, so it's signed.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=79157969

And 5.16-rc2 should finish building on x86_64 pretty soon

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=79161369

Running 5.16-rc2 should be safe but sometimes have a pile of new
issues still to get worked out, so it'd just be a data point to see
whether the problem happens there. Still another option if you aren't
certain whether it's kernel related is to go *backward* to 5.13
series:

This is the most recent 5.13, and even though it's f34 it can be
installed on f35 no problem.

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1834220

Again, just another data point to see if it does or doesn't happen, or
if it's different in some way.

--
Chris Murphy