Re: Should we have rpm package policies tying extension packages to the GNOME versions they'll work with?

Overall, I think it's a good idea to add some dependency generator. This should also cause FTI tickets to be auto-created once an extension becomes un-installable which should give the maintainers time to get in touch upstream and/or fix it by hand.

On the other hand though, I barely remember that the compatibility check by GNOME was re-introduced with GNOME 40 and it may be disabled by default in the future again.

Matthew, can you ask the GNOME folks if they have any plans about this? If the compatibility enforcement was to be disabled again, this "may not" (I am not 100 % sure about this) be necessary at all (the extensions worked throughout different GNOME versions before 40 just fine in the most cases, without any fixing and tweaking)?