Re: [Fedora-packaging] Re: Should we have rpm package policies tying extension packages to the GNOME versions they'll work with?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 03:30:32PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Please no! Unless you want to break Rawhide users. The upstream
> versioning is already quite hostile.

... but it seems even more hostile to have users' desktops break on upgrades
because of incompatible extensions we've packaged into the distro.

My hope is that there'd be coordination when the newer gnome-shell lands,
and the maintainers of these packages (and possible newer co-maintainers
too) would test and update (possibly even just with a local metadata.json
patch if the extension works unchanged). What's happening now is that no one
notices that they need attention. Especially for some of the more obscure
ones that happen to be included.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>