Re: Fedora minimum hardware requirements

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:25 AM Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sigh, it is useless to search for Fedora documentation on google ...
> anything but _current_ Docs will be found.
>
> > Only Fedora Workstation edition explicitly states minimum hardware
> > requirements: "Fedora requires a minimum of 20GB disk, 2GB RAM, to
> > install and run successfully. Double those amounts is recommended."
> > https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
> And this doubling is not to be found in the Docs [1] in any other
> aspect than RAM size. The recommended HDD size value is 1/3 bigger
> than the minimal one.
>
> Also, the minimal CPU speed requirement apparently doubled between F32
> and F33, but I don't see any Fedora Change for F33 listing that. [2]
>
> Both of that goes to a question - how are those values decided in the
> first place ?
>
> To target the Workstation edition regarding those values seems OK.
> However it seems to be far from the minimal requirements for a
> headless server, which is surely fine with less than 5GB of disk
> space.
>
> I believe that there are some technical limitations that we should list.
> E.g. having a 64-bit CPU with certain instructions / capabilities (at
> least for the X86_64 architecture family)
> Everything other than the hard technical limits is just an educated
> guess or assumption ...

We'd have to go with saying what brand processor families are
acceptable minimums, because checking for instructions/capabilities is
not something I expect people to reasonably do. An example of what I'm
talking about is the Windows XP minimum system requirements[1], which
listed the Pentium as the minimum because of the ISA requirements.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#System_requirements