Fedora minimum hardware requirements

Hi,

Workstation working group was tracking this:
#241 Re-revisit Fedora Workstation minimums
https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/241

But to answer the questions, I think we need to broaden the
conversation, hence this email.

Only Fedora Workstation edition explicitly states minimum hardware
requirements: "Fedora requires a minimum of 20GB disk, 2GB RAM, to
install and run successfully. Double those amounts is recommended."
https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

Minimum hardware requirements is intended to setup some kind of
expectation of performance. The goal isn't the hardware requirement,
that's just the means of getting to the goal. So what's the goal? For
sure folks need to be able to install it plus some breathing room to
install additional software and user data. That gets to the minimum
storage space angle.

But the CPU, memory, and IO angle are more complex. A completely
objective metric would account for the local workload, which we don't
know. So we're going to have to come up with a subjective
recommendation, i.e. take an educated guess. (I enjoy underscoring
that subjective != arbitrary.)

How does the minimum hardware requirement achieve the intended goal?
And is it testable? We could ask folks to run some workloads on
low-CPU, low-memory hardware, and report 'grep -r . /proc/pressure'
whenever they think the system is performing worse than expected? Or
what?

Anyway, this is just to kick off a conversation. Let's see where it goes.

--
Chris Murphy