Re: Systemd-boot as optional bootloader for Workstation?

While there's a lot of complexity in GRUB that gives us lots of grief,
and Fedora is still carrying >100 patches on top of upstream GRUB, and
rebasing to upstream is therefore also complicated and can involve
regressions...  I think it would be a lot of work to switch
bootloaders. And it is too much work to offer an additional bootloader
and support it in any official way, other than in a quickdoc for those
who want to opt in.

I suggest starting with the quickdoc approach though, because it gets
more users familiar with the alternative.

I'm pretty sure the bootloader team can't take on another bootloader
right now. The work on incorporating Boot Loader Spec has put Fedora
in a better position to switch to a different bootloader down the
road.

There are a number of use cases that sd-boot doesn't support and won't
support, at least not directly:

* has no file system support; so we can't boot off an ext4, xfs, btrfs
/boot volume. Or software raid. All of which we do support today.
Getting rid of these use cases would simplify things a lot but it
comes with consequences. Could we enhance sd-boot so it can use efifs,
and therefore support these file systems? Is it worth it? If not,
then:

* /boot becomes FAT32. We can mount FAT file systems using -o context,
for selinux MAC. (And possibly the new mount_setattr(2) call in kernel
5.12 to set ID's). But I don't know if this is considered adequate by
security folks. Maybe it becomes more workable with bootupd, but then
are we just rearranging the deck chairs that we need to depend on
three projects to boot the way we want rather than one?

I can get on board dropping GRUB as a bootloader but it has to be
really compelling.

[1] https://github.com/pbatard/efifs
[2] https://github.com/coreos/bootupd/

Chris Murphy