Re: GNOME 40 first impressions

Running GNOME Shell 40 from the recommended COPR on updated Fedora 33 Design Suite (based on Workstation) on a convertible laptop with both touchscren and stylus in addition of Rawhide version via GNOME Boxes.

Using touchscreen is mostly positive. Scrolling from left to right and vice versa with three fighters feels more natural than the current top and down now assigned to switch to Overview and Overview Application Mode.

Using stylus needs work on bare metal as I was unable to effectively select an item on top bar. However, on GNOME Boxes, the interaction seems fine as the stylus is detected as a mouse.

Due to the upstream kernel issue related to the sensor fusion, I am unable to test the auto-rotation.

The latest updated GMOME Shell 40 from COPR failed to run on Fedora 33 prompting to revert to the current 3.38.2 after an overall good experience. I will try again once the latest snapshot is available.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Design Team