GNOME 40 first impressions

Hi,

I just tried out the new GNOME 40 COPR discussed in the Workstation WG
meeting:

https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/210
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/haeckerfelix/gnome-shell-40/

```
$ rpm -q gnome-shell
gnome-shell-40.0~alpha-1.20210110.0.x86_64
```

First impressions are positive! Breaking down my observations by
category.

UX:
- Mostly fine. I miss being able to have a "God's Eye view" of all my
desktops when triggering the Activities view, with the new design as is
I have to scroll

Stability:
- seems fine under Wayland. Experiencing screen tearing under X11
(using Element.io's Matrix client via Flatpak and Kitty)

Regressions:
- Toggling natural scrolling on and off has no effect, it behaves as if
natural scrolling is off
- GNOME Tweaks no longer allows toggling extensions on and off (even
though it doesn't come from this COPR; I have not looked into how this
works under the hood). It should probably recommend gnome-extensions-
app
- This interacts poorly with PaperWM: Alt-Tab/Super-Tab didn't work,
every window but the last launched would not show up (and every app
launched automatically on login), and disabling the extension via
gnome-extensions-app didn't fully fix the disappearing windows until
the next login. Not unexpected, let me know if I should file a bug
against PaperWM now or wait until later? I expect Material Shell to be
even more impacted, as it more heavily modifies the Shell environment

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
profile: https://keyoxide.org/michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx