Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 6:19 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 08:32:28PM +0000, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> > I think we need more than just better instructions here.
> >
> > If you use automatic partitioning, there is also a "leap of faith" step
> > where you have to hope that the installer does the right thing, but without
> > any way of verifying it.
> >
> > If you don't use automatic partitioning, it is because you already know
> > enough to get past this stage.
>
> Serious question since I don't dual boot -- can the automatic partitioning
> handle the Windows 10 dual boot situation? Should I have just told the user
> to use that?

It is supposed to work, but I don't know if it has been actively
tested in the past few years.

> > In my opinion the most ideal scenario here would be a Windows based
> > pre-installer - it runs the necessary checks that Fedora can be installed,
> > sets up partitions and then reboot to finish installation.
>
> Sounds interesting -- how would this help?

It would probably be something like how Apple's Boot Camp orchestrates
preparing to install Windows alongside macOS. A Windows/Mac app that
would guide users through this could also use a disk image we prepare,
and then grow it to fill the space. Since we use Btrfs now, we can
drastically simplify all this orchestration since we only work with
one real partition, and manage everything else internally with Btrfs
subvolume orchestration from the Linux side.

That would even take Anaconda out of the picture. :)