Re: Multiple Fedora Desktop edition

On 7/22/20 1:46 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Michel Alexandre Salim
<michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2020-07-22 at 10:43 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 8:37 AM Michael Catanzaro <
mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think a change to remove chronyd in favor of timesyncd might be
accepted for Workstation.

It's much simpler. Off hand I can't think of what Workstation would
be
missing out on.

That would bring us in line with Ubuntu, so - given that Fedora likely
has a newer systemd than Ubuntu (e.g. Ubuntu 20.04 only has systemd
245.4, F32 has 245.6) -- if it works for them, and has been working for
several releases, it could be worth a Change proposal for F34.

Wearing my sysadmin hat, this would simplify our logic for configuring
NTP clients quite a bit, as basically most of our Linux clients would
then be on timesyncd (we try to stick to the distro default but just
override the config).

Is is possible there's a significant minority who have workflows that
explicitly depend on chrony? If it's not possible, then I'd support
the working group just making the substitution for Workstation 33.

I think this may require Anaconda changes for the UI to setup time servers.