Re: Multiple Fedora Desktop edition

Hi,

On 7/21/20 8:45 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Hi

I have noticed we are installing bunch of "enterprise" tools ( which some might view as bloatware ) with the default Fedora Desktop which leaves whole bunch of service enable which delay boot and eat up cpu/memory and space thus give the end user an overall negative experience on her or his laptop hence I have been wondering if there have been any discussion to provide different "edition" of the Fedora Desktop in similar manner like Windows does [1] as in "Windows 10 Home" which mostly comes pre-installed on the laptops people buy ( stripped down windows no enterprise features ) windows 10 Pro which is mostly used in Office environments where joining a Windows Server domain is required and Windows 10 Enterprise, which is Windows 10 Pro + some enterprise related tools and apps etc.

Not sure what services you are referring to, but I'm working no making the livecd
(which is the default download we link people to) drag in less exotic storage
services:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DisableDmraidOnFirstRun
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveDeviceMapperMultipathFromWorkstationLiveCD

Rather then have more flavors I would rather see us spending time on optimizing
the Workstation flavor. If you have any specific suggestions for further improvements,
please let me know.

Regards,

Hans