Re: "Steam hardware survey" kinda thing?

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 09:56:41AM +0200, Lukas Ruzicka wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:49 AM Michal Konecny <mkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > You should still be able to opt-out. So it shouldn't be only in Anaconda.
> >
> > Michal
> >

> True, but in that case, it should not only be in Gnome Initial Setup
> either. I think that reporting could have a very simple
> configuration file - a one liner - that would be placed in its location
> during installation and the presence of such file would
> enable reporting, while the absence would prevent it. Maybe even just a
> presence or absence of such file could be checked
> so a simple "touch report_enable" would do to opt in and "rm report_enable"
> to opt out.
>
> Each desktop could handle that in their GUI settings if they wanted to.

I'd split any effort like this into two steps:
1. provide an implementation and build the backing infra. Make this
   available as package that can be installed using dnf by early adopters.
2. figure out how to make it easy to opt-in during installation.

That second step is not really important now if we haven't even started
working on the first. I think we'll need different mechanisms for different
installation methods, but it seems too early to think about the details.

Zbyszek