"Steam hardware survey" kinda thing?

Last night, as I was launching Stellaris, I got the rare but occasional
Steam Hardware Survey popup. I'm always happy when I do, because I get to
represent gaming on Fedora platforms. ("I'm helping!")

Then, this morning, there's the discussion of btrfs compression options, for
which it would obviously be useful for us to know the typical Fedora
Workstation user's hard drive and CPU characteristics.

I know some of us have been thinking about implementing a system-info
metrics tool similar to what Endless presented at last GUADEC, or what
Canonical does for Ubuntu. I'm not ruling those out, but what if we had
something (a shell extension? something else?) that would unobtrusively
offer a survey, with a chance of happening on a given system maybe twice a
year?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>