Workstation WG minutes, 16 December 2019

See below for the minutes from yesterday's Fedora Workstation Working
Group call.

Allan
--

Fedora Workstation Working Group: Meeting Minutes

Attendance

 - Present: Allan, Chris, Jens, Matthias, Neal (arrived late)
 - Regrets: Christian, Langdon, Kalev, Owen
 - Missing: Michael

Agenda

F32 planning (#115)

 - Allan: is the WG the right place to do feature planning? Matthias:
we can potentially get assistance from the desktop team if we identify
priorities.
 - Chris: would like to see us close down issues that are in progress.
   - #116 - Broadcom wireless - it's relatively self-contained.
   - #101 - Impossible to see disk usage - perhaps a limited fix for
this one. Outstanding disk partitioning questions are relevant here
(#54 and #82):
     - Chris is reluctant to make big changes around disk
partitioning, from a QA perspective
     - Matthias: isn't sure what the options are - might be hard to
move away from LVM
    - Allan: it would be good to focus on the disk partitioning and
encryption questions for F32, since these are somewhat foundational
questions which impact other areas. When we do this, it would be good
to get consensus over key questions (LVM or no LVM) and a sense of the
direction of travel.
    - Matthias: with systemd-homed coming up and promising real
change, making short-term changes might not be worthwhile.
 - Allan: seems like we have two potential themes coming out - one is
trying to smooth out the more obvious pain points, the other is trying
to resolve more wider architectural decisions.
 - Matthias: what is happening outside the workstation for F32?
   - Memory monitoring was happening - #98
     - Chris: is low-memory monitor ready for F32? Matthias: the
plumbing is getting into place for F32 (in glib and portals).
     - There would need to be an effort to get apps and to adopt the
low memory monitor.
     - This could be a useful initiative for the WG to track and push for F32.
     - Christian Hergert has been doing some interesting work that we
could draw on for this, too.
  - Neal raises the question of F31 being perceived to be slower than
F30. General discussion about performance but no concrete takeaways.
  - Neal raises #117 - drop optical media criterion
    - General view in the discussion is that Fedora should distribute
USB sticks rather than optical disks (for marketing)
    - Concern that the desktop experience isn't good on a DVD
    - Sounds like the WG should come back to this, with more data
about the various hardware and use-cases, in order to state a position
on the issue
  - WG stewardship of the F32 release
    - Testing and test days - it would be good to revisit the schedule
and see if there's anything the WG can do to improve things or engage
more
    - Release notes and marketing that we can push
      - It's fine to talk about what's included from GNOME. But what else?
      - The features we've talked about are potentially release notes
worthy - we ought to have a list of target features that the WG can
deliver for F32.
      - Another thing to do for F32: review the apps that are included
for the release. Some of them might not be up to scratch. Our apps
should work, serve a purpose, look good. We should schedule an app
review as part of the release process, maybe just after beta. We
should put this on our own calendar.

Next meeting will be 6 January 2020.