Re: extreme slow down

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 2:07 PM Damian Ivanov <damianatorrpm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to share this with you and if you point me in the right
> direction under what section
> to add something like this in the wiki I will do so!
>
> After running my system a while it continued to slow down and at some point
> it was so extreme that a simple copy operation would render the mouse unmovable.
> Note that this is an i7, 8G Ram, SSD etc.
>
> Changing to BFQ schedule, tune BFQ parameters, disabling swapping,
> compiling the kernel with the Muqss scheduler, nothing did help. It is
> not a hardware issue!
>
> It seems by default fstrim is disabled from systemd and by default
> nothing formats it with discard option.
>
> Running fstrim / && fstrim /home && systemctl enable fstrim.service
> changed the performance a dozen fold.

This is a balancing act, because there are devices that perform better
with an occasional fstrim, and other devices that misbehave. Most
devices don't benefit from it, but then an even large pool of devices
aren't hurt either.

For the near term, there are enough devices that lack support for
queued trim that discard mount option by default is probably not a
good idea. In case of a non-queued trim supporting drive, it basically
stalls in workloads where there are a lot of file system changes.
Newer drives support queued trim.

And still other drives have firmware bugs where trim results in data
corruption or loss. Which is a better default? Exposing a significant
minority of users to slowing devices, or exposing a small group to
data loss? But these days most of those devices have been identified,
and either have firmware fixes, removed from production use, or have
been blacklisted in the kernel for trim (i.e. trim is not passed down
to those devices).

It's reasonable to consider enabling fstrim.service by default. This
would cause trim to be issued once per week. But I think it should be
proposed as a system wide change so that it gets the necessary
visibility. Ubuntu does enable it by default for a few releases now; I
don't know for sure if openSUSE enables it by default.

--
Chris Murphy