Re: Questions about encrypting user homes by default

On Tue, 2019-09-24 at 23:31 +0200, Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:41 PM Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Passwords are mandatory (and always have been) but you can enable
> > > autologin in gnome-control-center. This allows you to log on without
> > > typing your password.
> >

> > Problem is, unless you have a LUKS password equal to your user account
> > > password, you'll just get a modal dialog when you log in prompting you
> > > to unlock gnome-keyring. So it's never really worked.
> > >
> So, as I understand that, enforcing per-user encryption is not going to
> prevent anybody from having automatic login? User account has to have
> password anyway and having per-user based encryption (4.b.) would mean that
> LUKS password would be always equal to user password.

Has anyone considered how all this interacts with domain users, BTW?

My user account is not a local one managed in /etc/passwd; it's a
FreeIPA domain account. One fun thing that happens with this is that
when I change my password in FreeIPA, I have to do a stupid trick in
seahorse to change my keyring password to be the same as the new user
password, otherwise my keyring doesn't get unlocked when I log into the
system. Are we gonna have similar 'fun' with on-by-default or mandatory
user data encryption?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey