Re: Fedora Media Writer

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM Pat Kelly <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A suggestion for your consideration: In one of the QA meetings a while back we talked about how it would be nice if Fedora Media Writer was part of the initial installation. We use Media Writer a lot during testing and it would be handy if it was there ready to use instead of having to install it.

Installing:
 mediawriter                                  x86_64
       4.1.4-1.fc30                             updates
          3.6 M
Installing dependencies:
 qt5-qtquickcontrols                          x86_64
       5.12.4-1.fc30                            updates
          1.0 M

Total download size: 4.6 M
Installed size: 12 M

Download size, if those are xz compressed RPMs, probably approximates
the increase in ISO size for the Live Workstation image.

I've never tested booting a Fedora LiveOS image from a USB stick, and
then trying to create an image with mediawriter while live booted, if
it's able to figure out what to do: i.e. the proper image to write by
default is at /dev/sr0. Otherwise media-writer must download an image,
and right now the lives are short on space for this purpose.

Even this 1GiB bump isn't enough to make it possible to download any
of the ISOs while booted live.
https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/pull-request/556

So the use case necessarily would have to assume an installed Fedora,
not a live boot. And pretty much right after an installed system
starts up and the user logs in, they're going to get a healthy pile of
dnf and packagekit metadata downloaded. It doesn't seem like much of
an advantage to have it already present, whereas on lives, of course
to dnf install you have to download 50MIB's worth of metadata to find
and to any package installation.

In fact, I rather expect if media-writer is already on the media, the
lack of space to download an ISO, which right now causes the overlay
to blow up spectacularly if the free space is busted, would invariably
be a release blocking bug.

--
Chris Murphy