Re: Removing GNOME Videos?

On 2/20/19 7:41 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
GNOME Videos will still be available, from here:
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.Totem
with all the bells and whistles.

I think that, out-of-the-box, clicking on "Install" on this website will lead
to a better experience than 1) finding out about third-party RPM repositories
2) enabling said repositories 3) triggering the codecs to be installed, including
the aforementioned PackageKit-gstreamer helper bugs

I intend to advertise the upstream distribution of totem via my own blog, and
Fedora Magazine (which apparently can link to Flathub without problems).

I will not install a Flatpak of any kind. Sorry. If you intend to drop maintaining totem in Fedora I'll most likely take maintainership.

Not to find false equivalences, but we don't ship with a mail client
out-of-the-box either.

The default Gnome client is terrible and no one uses it, but there are viable alternatives as Fedora native packages. I don't think it's fair to compare e-mail to video. E-mail doesn't have patents involved.

I'd really rather not have the application available in Fedora, than have it
be a cut-down version that's really hard to extend. In the end, the end-users
will go the way you mentioned earlier, look for a video player, and end up
installing VLC from Flathub, instead of trying to figure out why this sucky
video player couldn't play anything.

Gstreamer is hard to extend? :-/

Sounds like you want to give up on the automatic codec installation and require users to go digging for third-party software because *you* think it's better. I don't think it's better.

There's a long tail of codecs that are not playable on Fedora, and will probably
never be playable, most of them too niche to be worth spending the time to look
whether they're covered by patents that are still running, and there's some
already reasonable amount of videos available online as H265, which we won't be
able to support for a while.

The support is better than it's been, but it's still far from optimal, and this
discussion only covers GStreamer codecs and demuxers, which can be detected and
somewhat automatically installed. We also have the question of other patent-covered
uses such as video acceleration.

We have gstreamer1-vaapi in Fedora so why not install that by default? The latest offerings from Intel or AMD support h264/h265/vp9 decoding with VAAPI.

We also have RPMFusion stuff being suggested and installed today. Why not extend that to the gstreamer1-libav/gstreamer1-plugins-ugly package(s)?