Re: Camera won't mount in Workstation

Hi Chris,

as per the log you provided on libmtp mailing list, gphoto2 is used
for your device, not libmtp. So it is not a problem that it is not
recognized as MTP device. But the problem is that the device was
disconnected for some reason. It happened obviously during the mount
procedure as per the gvfsd-gphoto2 and gnome-shell messages in the
log. We should fix those, but that's not the cause, just consequence.
The question is why it was disconnected. This can be because of some
corrupted cable, but it is not your case probably when the mass
storage mode works. My MTP and PTP device seems working properly on
Fedora 29, so this is probably device specific. You may try your
chance on http://gphoto.org/mailinglists/.

Regards

Ondrej
čt 8. 11. 2018 v 17:34 odesílatel Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napsal:

> A camera set to either Auto or MTP mode won't mount in Fedora
> Workstation. Near as I can tell, the problem is with mtp-probe. But I
> guess it could be kernel confusion.
>
> I've posted a message on the libmtp list but no replies:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/libmtp/mailman/message/36458309/
>
> The sequence looks like the kernel correctly discovers the make,
> model, serial number correctly but not that it's an MTP device.
> Something gives up and causes it to be disconnected. And then when it
> immediately reconnects it's now recognized as a USB Charger which is
> not correct, and also not an MTP device.
>
> The work around for this is to install fuse-exfat from RPM Fusion, and
> set the camera to Mass Storage setting, and now the storage card is
> directly mounted automatically. So this isn't a show stopper bug, but
> I'd say it's suboptimal for showcasing free software. Using MTP
> obviates the need for the host directly mounting the storage card's
> file system, and it's also safer.
>
> Any next step ideas?
>

> --
> Chris Murphy

Ondrej Holy
Software Engineer, Core Desktop Development
Red Hat Czech s.r.o