Re: Camera won't mount in Workstation

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Luya Tshimbalanga
<luya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2018-11-08 8:33 a.m., Chris Murphy wrote:
>> > The work around for this is to install fuse-exfat from RPM Fusion, and >
>> > set the camera to Mass Storage setting, and now the storage card is >
>> > directly mounted automatically. So this isn't a show stopper bug, but > I'd
>> > say it's suboptimal for showcasing free software. Using MTP > obviates the
>> > need for the host directly mounting the storage card's > file system, and
>> > it's also safer. > > Any next step ideas? > > Based on that information, the
>> > memory card uses the patented exfat format which cannot be included for
>> > legal reasons. See https://www.wikiwand.com/en/ExFAT

I'm not expecting exfat support to be included. I only mentioned that
as the work around. The preferable outcome is for MTP mounting to work
out of the box, which means the camera itself handles the exfat format
while communicating with the host using MTP.

The questions: whether this looks like a kernel bug or mtp-probe bug;
if it's an mtp-probe bug are there any alternatives to libmtp that are
better that Fedora should be using instead? Off hand I'm not finding
anything, but Chrome has MTP support, I'm just not sure how they're
doing it. I'm also not sure if GNOME has a hard dependency on
mtp-probe or if there's a better way to do this, maybe directly in
GNOME Photos.

--
Chris Murphy