Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> I'll try it when I can.
>

> Didn't seem to make much difference to me, when building WebKit without -j2
> (I normally use -j2 to ensure it doesn't freeze my Fedora). The desktop
> becomes super sluggish as soon as it starts using swap. then froze after a
> couple of minutes when it was at around 5 GiB of swap. If it makes things
> better, great, but it's no solution.
>
> I also wonder about the I/O scheduler. Ubuntu is using the deadline
> scheduler because it reportedly is better for interactivity, and that is
> what we want to optimize Workstation for. Perhaps it handles these
> situations better. Dunno.

deadline favors reads over writes; I'm also not certain it's involved
in the swap code path.

5GiB is a lot of swap. I don't see how disabling swap is going to make
this better if the system is under that much memory pressure by the
application, unless ... the application is giving the kernel
unreasonable page eviction hinting to the kernel? zram could plausibly
get you 1.5x to 2x RAM since it's compressing with LZ4. If nothing
else that'd be an interesting zram stress test.

I've got only 8G on a laptop that I routinely  use with -j4 to compile
the kernel and it never uses swap.

At this point, the subject is better asked on devel@ as a separate
thread and solicit some advice on what's going on (or how to find out
what's going on), and whether there's a work around. If you totally
disable swap, is this behavior any better?

--
Chris Murphy