Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:19:39AM -0500, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I'm not super worried, because realistically that out-of-control
> >processes and runaway swap thrashing was going to take your system down
> >or at the very least trigger OOM killing *anyway*.
>
> Matthew, this happens *all the time* to me and to other developers I
> work with when building software. All the time. I fine-tune my
> ninjaargs to figure out the highest -j I can use when building
> without killing my desktop. We shouldn't have to do this. We're not
> talking about out of control processes, we're talking about running
> make or ninja exactly as designed: it's expected to spawn a huge
> number of GCC subprocesses (4, 8, 32...), each one will want 1-2 GB
> of RAM... the Fedora desktop should remain smooth and performant
> under this load and throttle ninja as needed, not freeze up.

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I didn't mean that this wasn't a problem. I meant
that given how badly this already sucks, the possibility of it happening
right when hibernating is ... how to say... what's the opposite of icing on
the cake? Sure, your system may not hibernate properly, but at that point it
was already doomed anyway.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>