Re: REMINDER: What's New in F28 Workstation - Fedora Magazine article

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 08:50:29AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 11:23 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 07:08:18PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > > $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method
> > > 'fingers'
> > >
> > > Only now do I grok "areas" and  "fingers" in this screenshot as
> > > referencing the two settings in the release notes *which uses neither
> > > term* so I had no idea what it was referring to.
> > >
> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=10uahu6XOownq7oJS8O2TXg7TvW6Yy1_h
> > >
> > > So the description there for "fingers" is what I've always experienced
> > > on this laptop with Fedora 25 through 28, and Windows 10. I tap two
> > > fingers at the same time to get a contextual menu. Meanwhile the
> > > release notes say "keep one finger in contact with the touchpad and
> > > tap with another finger" and that does nothing for me. Nothing
> > > happens. And yet the release notes say it's the default.
> >
> > the release notes are inaccurate then. "tapping" has a specific meaning
> > for touchpads [1], a short tap with a finger while *not* actually triggering
> > a physical click. The changed default has no effect on tapping, only on
> > clicking (and that only on clickpads).
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too. The description in Tweak Tool is accurate: it
> says "Click the touchpad with two fingers for right-click and three
> fingers for middle-click". Sorry, Chris, I didn't realize you were
> being confused by the inaccurate description in the release notes.
>
> OTOH, when you (Chris) say "So the description there for "fingers" is
> what I've always experienced on this laptop with Fedora 25 through 28",
> that seems odd. It was *definitely* not the default in F25. I don't see
> how you could have got that setting other than by doing it manually.
> Peter, is there any other way he could've got that setting?

if the gsettings key is on 'fingers', then I'm pretty sure he set it at some
point in the past. Or maybe some lucky stray radiation flipping exactly the right
bit ;) There's the off-chance that at some point rawhide defaulted to
fingers a few years back when this was added. But that requires more
digging time than I'm willing to spend on this right now, sorry. Bastien or
Carlos may know.

Just as another piece of information in case you need it:
the clickfinger behaviour on the other hand is the libinput default for some
touchpads like the apple ones. so some users would've seen clickfinger
behaviour on their touchpads even with gnome being on 'default'. Those users
too aren't affected by this change because either they accepted
the default behaviour or manually switched to 'areas' in the past.

Cheers,
   Peter