Re: REMINDER: What's New in F28 Workstation - Fedora Magazine article

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 04:27:26PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-04-27 at 17:26 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 5:20 PM,  <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > That's wrong, I think it's supposed to only affect clickpads
> >

> > Near as I can tell that's what I have.
>
> Might be the 'firmware click emulation' thing, if I'm right about that.
> I guess who-t could explain.

"clickpads" are touchpads that don't have their own buttons but they have a
hinge where you depress the whole touchpad. Those touchpads only have a left
button, the right button is emulated in libinput based on the finger count,
the finger positions and a combination of hope and despair. The libinput doc
has pretty pictures. Well, pictures:
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/clickpad_softbuttons.html

Chris: the previous gsetting was 'default' so if you ever changed it
manually to 'areas' in the past (e.g. for debugging something), the change
to a different default wouldn't affect you because you already have your
own setting already. I strongly suspect that's the case for you, run this to
verify:
 gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.peripherals.touchpad click-method
If it says 'areas', you changed it at some point in the past.

Cheers,
   Peter