Re: Fedora 28 minimum memory requirement, review

On Do, 22.03.18 08:46, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 10:30:09PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > For Fedora 27 it says this:
> >
> > Fedora Workstation to a laptop or desktop computer that has at least 1
> > GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and 10 GB space available
> >
> > https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
> >
> > When I set a VM to 1G it's always unusable. Sometimes it's PackageKit
> > that crashes first, which causes systemd-coredump to spin up and run
> > out of memory next, and then oom killers start killing off various
> > processes. Sometimes the oom killing just starts happening without a
> > prior crash. In any case I never get a desktop.
> >
> > With 1.5G RAM I usually get a desktop but then if anything crashes,
> > and it seems like PackageKit is crashing often when under memory
> > pressure (?), it kicks off systemd-coredump which makes the memory
> > problem worse
>
> systemd-coredump should probably short-circuit the coredump in oom conditions.
> I'm not sure what the exact conditions should be, maybe if the amount
> of free RAM is lower then the core size?

Hmm, to be frank, I wasn't aware the kernel would trigger coredump
handling in case of OOM. This feels a bit like making things better
and then making things worse again ;-)

I wonder if there's any way to detect the reason the kernel calls the
coredump handlers, i.e. that it can tell us whether OOM triggered it
or anything else.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat