Re: The new gnome-software update with "third party repositories" support

On 03/19/2018 09:29 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Would it also be possible to use a different term than "Third
> party repositories" in the software repositories dialogue? What's
> happening now is that the repositories from the
> fedora-workstation-repositories package come under "Third party
> repositories" accompanied by the notice on how some of these may be
> proprietary, and other third party repositories that users may have
> enabled themselves, such as Adobe/Dropbox/RPMFusion are coming up
> in a separate section. This isn't quite intuitive---it almost gives one
> the feeling that the latter are not "third party".

Sure, suggestions for better wording are very welcome. This is the best
we've managed to come up with so far.

>> Yes, we are supposed to get a new docs page for this. I'll talk to
>> mattdm and see how far we are with this. I'll make sure we update the
>> link before pushing it out to stable.
>
> I see this is up at the moment. It isn't updated, though (A ticket has
> been filed for Nvidia repositories etc already but I didn't want to update
> the page myself because I'm not completely sure of the complete process
> at the moment)
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_list
>

> I would really like whatever page we link to to have a clear, end-user
> targeted summary of free software and our commitment to it right at the
> top, and then possibly a rationale as to why we're making it easy for
> users to install some very commonly used proprietary software to improve
> usability.

Yes. I believe mattdm wanted to have a new docs.fedoraproject.org page
with end-user facing text that we can link to from gnome-software.

--
Kalev