Re: auto-suspending after video playback ends (and other cases)

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 14:33 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@fedoraproject
> .org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 01:59:08PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > One thing that we should be pointed out here is that we've been
> > > auto-suspending for laptops on battery for years. So it's not
> > > like there was a sudden leap into untested territory - this is
> > > the way that many people experience Fedora. So I don't think the
> > > lack of inhibitors in every possible app is a blocker. And if we
> > > can improve the case where inhibition is longer than the suspend
> > > delay - that strikes me as much more of a positive step forward
> > > than toggling back the behavior on AC power.
> >
> > We're going to get backlash if we don't communicate this well. I'm
> > used to making sure I'm plugged in if I have a long-running task to
> > prevent suspend. I don't think it's a big deal to adjust behavior*
> > but we'll definitely garner some annoyed and surprised users
> > unhappy about learing this the hard way if we're not careful.
>
> While people may be annoyed the first time their kernel compile gets
> suspended, hopefully the response will to go look for the quick
> control center toggle to get back to the old behavior. And the old
> behavior when on AC power is probably what you want if you are a user
> who compiles kernels, encodes videos from the command line, etc.
>
> (I'm not sure there's any good way to distinguish intentional long-
> running command line jobs from run-away processes...)

One option is to wrap the long-running command as follows:

    $ gnome-session-inhibit --inhibit idle COMMAND ARGS …

This way, you can leave a long build (e.g build a Flatpak SDK) running
as you go to sleep, the command won't be interrupted, but as soon as it
finished the system will suspend, saving energy.

--
Mathieu