Re: Default suspend on live images?

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 5:33 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > It's up to the application to inhibit idleness. See
> > gtk_application_inhibit().
>
> For technical reasons, WebKit cannot use GtkApplication. We do take an
> idle inhibitor using the freedesktop ScreenSaver interface, but there
> is no explicit way to inhibit suspend that way. So we only inhibit idle
> (screen lock) during video playback, not suspend. That seemed good
> enough to me, because suspend did not previously happen automatically.
> Changing this would be hard. See [1].

You're confused about the inhibitions I think.

Inhibiting idle means that the system won't go to idle, and won't do what
it's supposed to do when idle, eg. with the new configuration suspending,
with the old one going to the screensaver.

Inhibiting suspend means that the system won't suspend even if the user
asks. This is used in disc-burning software, for example, to avoid burning
coasters.

> It would be helpful if gnome-session, or mutter, or whatever component
> is responsible for managing inhibitors, would please not suspend the
> computer when an idle inhibitor is taken via the ScreenSaver interface,
> since that interface does not provide any explicit way to avoid
> suspend. Maybe it already works this way, but I'm not confident of
> that. Do you know about this?

It already works this way, and I'm pretty confident about it having written
the bridge between the fd.o spec (I also wrote), and gnome-session's more
complete inhibition code (the fd.o spec only covers idle inhibition,
gnome-session also supports suspend, power, etc. inhibitions).

Cheers