Re: Applications to Flatpak

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 04:50 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > No, the Flatpak and host are separate. I'm guessing that you're
> > worried about mismatches between evolution-data-server and its
> > clients.
>
> Heh, you just say 'no' and then change it to 'yes'. Some applications
> do depend on system services, regardless what they are built against.

Sorry, it was clearer in my head. The "no" applies to library APIs, the
"yes" applies to D-Bus "remote" APIs.

> > There's really no other way to make this work than to work towards a
> > stable, and versioned API.
>
> It's not about API by any means. The (D-Bus and code) API can be
> stable, but the underlying code can change. I know that software like
> GNOME Calendar and GNOME Contacts and others use mentioned evolution-
> data-server (eds) and they compile against some version, but then use
> the host version of the D-Bus services. It's fine as long as you do not
> care of functionality. It happens often that some bug is noticed on the
> client side (being it GNOME Calendar, GNOME Contacts, Evolution,...),
> but the actual fix for it lands in the eds, like into the builtin
> backend. This fix doesn't change API, no soname version bump needed, no
> D-Bus service version number increased). That means that the Flatpak
> version can be built against eds which has the bug fixed, but whether
> it's truly fixed depends on the host system.

That will be the case for any host-side feature, especially the ones that
rely on online services (gnome-online-accounts is probably another), or
the ones that rely on hardware-related bug fixes. That's par for the course,
and that will probably mean more backporting and stable releases.

> That's odd. Adding eds
> into Flatpak is not correct from the point of sharing the same data
> between various applications and the system (GNOME Shell) itself
> (unless some portals of Flatpak or what that idea to catch on this was
> named).

On mobile, this would be split up more, so the calendar backend would live
in the Calendar app, the Notes backend in the Notes app, etc. This leaves
the sign-on on the host side. But they can do that because they have blessed
front-ends which we don't in GNOME or Fedora.