Re: Workstation WG meeting recap 2017-12-18

In order to consistently enforce our minimum standards of quality for applications that are installed by default, we did indeed vote in favor of getting worse bug reports. I expect this will make it much more difficult to solve SELinux problems. If so, we will probably wind up discussing whether to disable SELinux altogether sooner rather than later. (That's never received nearly enough support in the past, but who can say what the future holds.) I suspect that the desktop team does not intend to assign resources to this problem, so it will be up to people who care about SELinux to work on a solution for avoiding this, if they care to do so.

My recommendation would be to add SELinux problem reporting functionality in a way that involves a very simple GUI and absolutely zero technical details. Or, perhaps it would be wisest to give up on having any UI for this and just send the bug report in the background, like ABRT does.

Previously, I had hoped that SELinux reporting functionality would be added to ABRT, but that has clearly stalled. I'm not sure if I would recommend this path anymore, because ABRT's bug reporting workflow is full of technical details that are probably not appropriate for Fedora Workstation, and you don't want to add SELinux reporting to ABRT only for us to later propose dropping the ABRT GUI. (Fortunately, ABRT is still useful even without the bug report GUI, because it reports problems to FAF without needing the GUI, and because bug reports get filed automatically when a problem is reported enough times to FAF.)