gnome-initial-setup per-user mode disabled on kickstart installs: intended?

Hi folks! So I just spent an hour or two debugging an unexpected change
in behaviour in the openQA base images. I've figured out what's going
on, but I'm unsure if it's intended.

There was a change to anaconda between Fedora 25 and Fedora 26 which
causes it to write a line:

post_install_tools_disabled=1

to /etc/sysconfig/anaconda for all kickstarted installs where there is
no explicit 'firstboot' directive in the kickstart. (Prior to Fedora
26, anaconda would disable 'initial-setup.service' by default for
kickstarted installs, but it didn't write that line, or disable gnome-
initial-setup - either mode - in any way.)

It seems that gnome-initial-setup reads that file on startup, and if it
sees that post_install_tools_disabled is set, it will kinda short-
circuit - it won't display its UI at all, it'll just do its shutdown
tasks (create ~/.config/gnome-initial-setup-done and so on) and then
quit. It doesn't only do this in its system-wide, 'run before gdm if no
user accounts exist' mode - it also does it when running in its 'first
login to GNOME as any user' mode.

So an effect of this change - which may not have been intended - is
that on most kickstarted installs of Fedora 26+, gnome-initial-setup
does not run *even in 'first login to a user account' mode*. (This is
the change that affected openQA). I can't immediately see that it makes
logical sense to disable this g-i-s mode on kickstarted installs by
default, but maybe someone disagrees.

Anyway, just wanted to raise this issue for discussion between desktop
and anaconda folks (who are CCed on this), before filing bugs anywhere.
Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey