Re: Testing ostree Workstation

On Fri, 2017-06-23 at 15:56 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017, at 03:38 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > Well, yes, but I'm usually talking from the *user* perspective. So far
> > as the user is concerned, it's not an RPM-based system: we can't test
> > updates by fiddling around with dnf, is the pertinent point here.
>
> But one can (and is definitely expected to in many general cases)
> to use layered packages.  A lot (but not all) of the functionality of dnf
> is also possible with rpm-ostree - increasingly so, for example we're
> working on supporting "removing" things from the base tree:
> https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/pull/797

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification; so, long story short, we
*could* actually test using dnf for install / remove / update of
packages on Workstation-ostree? But is this also something that's
already tested in CentOS CI? If so, probably not worth duplicating it.

> > If we have another system where we can test the update experience
> > exactly as it works for a real end user - starting from deploying
> > ostree Workstation in the way we actually expect a user to do so,
> > starting from our actual nightly / candidate images - then that's
> > great, let's do that. But if we don't, openQA is probably a practical
> > way to do it. What I'm really kinda looking for is more specific
> > details on the level of "here is approximately what you could do to
> > reliably put a Workstation ostree system into a state where an update
> > for it would be available through the usual mechanism".
>
> We already indeed do these types of things in CentOS CI.

Great, one less thing for me to worry about, then. Well. I suppose
there's one more thing to ask: do you test install from the *installer
image* in CentOS CI? If not, how significant are the chances (do you
think) that a system installed from the installer image might differ in
its behaviour from one deployed via a filesystem image or however you
get to the starting state of the CentOS CI tests?

> > Still, thinking about it, for ostree Workstation we really need to test
> > two *separate* things, yes? Updating the base system, and then
> > deploying and updating software on top of the base system.
>
> Right!
>
> > Again, more
> > details on how that process is expected to work would be useful; are
> > Flatpaks the only expected deployment method for apps on ostree
> > Workstation, for instance?
>
> No.  There's lots of stuff that isn't yet in flatpak form.   And further,
> not everything is a desktop app.

OK, so, to summarize, you expect people to deploy stuff on top of
ostree Workstation:

* Via layered packages (which is basically just 'dnf install foo' so
far as the end user is concerned, right?)

* As Flatpaks, installed via GNOME Software

* As containers

Does that sound about right? Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson