Re: swap file instead of partition?

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/08/2017 04:36 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> It can be used for other things, sometimes the kernel will page out to
>> swap to assist in getting contiguous sections of free memory, it's
>> also used for suspend to disk if it's enabled which is useful on
>> laptops when on very low battery.
>

> This ideology needs to die. I'm sorry. Do you get suspend on your cell
> phone? Tablet? Is everyone crying for it on those devices?

Those devices wake up, and do a clean power off when the battery gets
to 1% or whatever safeguard is in place. You never lose data.

On Fedora as configured, if your system is sleeping and loses power,
you always lose data. There's no on-going application state saving
feature, there's no wake up and save shutdown mechanism either.

I'm fine with the idea of ditching swap entirely. But the current
power management ideology amounts to: doesn't it suck when you forget
to plug power into your laptop and you lose shit? Haha.

Because on literally every other platform that elicits a "huh? what?"
Because central to Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, is applications
saving their state. There's no data loss when the system has to reboot
or poweroff for whatever reason.

I kinda think hibernation is the booger we can't flick off because
there's no alternative, not because hibernation is a good solution.

--
Chris Murphy