Re: swap file instead of partition?

On 08.06.2017 03:27, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 06/07/2017 09:21 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> On Reddit, someone asked me if there are plans to switch to swap files
>>> (as Ubuntu has) rather than making a partition by default. Do we have
>>> any such plans? It seems like a small manageability benefit with not
>>> much downside (other than, of course, the cost of changing things).
>>
>> I'm not aware of any such plans, but I was wondering the same thing... are there
>> any disadvantages to making this switch? Seems like a good idea.
>>

> I'm not an expert on storage, so take my reply with a large pinch of salt, but
> isn't one of the main reasons for using a swap partition to avoid file
> fragmentation? Admittedly, modern SSD-based systems probably don't have much to
> worry about here, but there are likely still a LOT of spinning-rust installs out
> there that would have to worry about fragmentation.

what's the point of putting swap onto a hard disk in the first place,
with today's RAM sizes (or even 10 years ago) of GBs, when swap is read
in unpredictable random order that incurs 10ms of latency each time?

even worse, the most memory intensive applications on most users'
desktop is the web browser, which is garbage collected, and there is the
well known problem that there are no interfaces in POSIX that would
enable swapping of a GC'd heap to have acceptable performance.