Re: Some performance criticisms of F25

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:50:43PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> > Well, I'm starting from Michael's premise that deadline would be better
>> > for latency for most desktop users (regardless of disk type), and
>> > clearly better when using SSD. This leads me to a different conclusion
>> > than the above.
>> Then set it as such in Workstation.  I don't see how your conclusion
>> conflicts with mine at all.
>
> Well, if it seems like the best default for Workstation (and therefore
> probably also most of the desktop Spins) *and* for server, doesn't
> changing the overall default make the most sense?

Via the runtime tunable, sure (read that as: we are not carrying a
damn kernel patch).  But to assume that it makes sense without at
least discussing it with the Editions seems odd.

>> > It's irrelevant for cloud and any other virt deployment of Atomic or
>> > Server. As far as I know, the special case on hardware where cfq is
>> > better is the one I outlined (on hardware, single spindle, prefer
>> > throughput, mixed workload) and I agree that it's okay to expect
>> > sysadmins to handle that.
>> Why is it irrelevant on virt?  Do people not care about local storage
>> impacts of their guests?  That would be surprising.
>
> It's relevant to virt hosts, but not to cloud and virt _guests_, where
> the io scheduler is bypassed completely. See
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/images/6/63/02x06a-VirtioBlk.pdf

Is that the default IO driver in QEMU across all releases at this point?

josh