Re: About Nautilus automatic-decompression default

On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 10:59 -0400, Robert Marcano wrote:
> Any opinions on the Nautilus automatic decompression behavior?
> decompressing all archives by default when you only want to open a
> file
> inside of it, Making people by mistake extract the archive multiple
> times every time they open it?
>
> I noticed by mistake the new change when I opened Zip file and
> noticed
> no changes (didn't noticed the folder was already extracted every
> time I
> tried) and got a folder full of garbage temporary extractions.

This has happened to me too. I'm glad we have real support for
compressed archives in nautilus now, but I agree it would be better to
not extract stuff automatically. Nautilus should just show the user
inside the archive, similar to what Windows Explorer does, and only
perform extraction when explicitly requested.

Michael