Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 05:16 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 06:01 -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >

> > > Heck, even something as simple as putting the topicon version of
> > > the Fedora logo next to the clock could be an option. (I'm not a
> > > designer, obviously. I'm just throwing out a straw-man for
> >  > discussion.)
> >
> > I invite you to read the archives about this trainwreck of an idea.
> > About the time of the GNOME 3 release.
>
> I'm curious, it seems like a relatively subtle tweak, and the word
> "Activites" does feel almost out of place.

On the contrary.

I've seen extremely non-technical users figure out on their own the
"Activities" button.

For example my dad, who doesn't even know he's browsing the web when he
thinks all he's doing is "going to le bon coin". When I walked into the
room the first time he used GNOME Shell and asked him how he managed to
get where he wanted without my help, the answer was:

  « Well, there was nothing on the screen, but I saw"activities", so
    I thought that's where I needed to go to "do things", and then I
    saw "the orange icon to go to le bon coin" [that's how he calls
    Firefox] so that was it ».

I'm convinced adding a logo next to the "Activities" word would have
made the experience less obvious:

  « Is the logo the same as the "Activities" button? Do I click on
    "Activities" or on the logo? What does "F" stand for? Maybe I
    should wait until Mathieu is here before I make a mistake? »

Not asking themselves all those questions means the user doesn't feel
intimidated and belittled. Figuring out the interface on their own
means they feel confident using their computer without external help.
It means we're empowering them to do what they need.

Of course, this is just anecdata, but I'm willing to bet this is
something which consistently happens for beginner users.

For similar reasons, there's nowhere in the top-bar where a logo
wouldn't feel out of place and wouldn't make users wonder why it's
there and what it does as a UI element. (is it a button? does it have a
specific menu? is it a bug that it doesn't seem to have a specific
menu? etc.)

--
Mathieu