Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Alex G.S. <alxgrtnstrngl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> GNOME has made impressive technological leaps forward but the shell design
> and desktop workflow model haven't advanced at the same pace. What if Fedora
> Workstation had a unique desktop shell like Elementary OS and Ubuntu's
> Unity? Maybe something more traditional like the macOS desktop environment
> that had similar concepts but built with GNOME technology and Wayland.
> Sometimes superficial appearances are a much bigger factor than we like to
> acknowledge in the success of platforms.
>
> It's amazing that macOS a technologically backward platform has managed to
> attract a large following among the engineering community because of it's
> great desktop environment.

There's not much innovation happening in UI/Ux on macOS or Windows.
They've largely succeeded by catering to developers, making them want
to develop on the platform, while limiting how annoyed they make users
at each iteration. On Windows, they tried to move to a new UI, and it
just made their users and developers mad - there had been so much
stagnation for so long that the sorely needed changes happened all at
once. Apple does something that irks many users with every year's
release, but in a couple months the users are eating the new dog food,
and developers also.

I think nothing is gained by shifting away from GNOME. It'd hurt the
GNOME effort, and it'd hurt Fedora users.

--
Chris Murphy