Re: Call for agenda: Workstation WG meeting 2016-09-28

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Workstation WG meeting will be held Wednesday 2016-09-28 at
> 11:00am EDT (1500 UTC).
>
> The agenda looks a little light at the moment; I may have missed
> something obvious while working on other things.  Corrections and
> additions are gratefully accepted:
>
> * GNOME 3.22 crashes (Shell, webkitgtk4, other?)
>
> * Talking points completion for Final needed
>         https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_25_talking_points#Fedora_Workstation

More of a food for thought and heads up than anything urgent or
needing a decision.

Cloud folks are looking to change atomic host deliverables from using
LVM thinly provisioned storage for containers, to overlayfs (and XFS),
for Fedora 26 [1]. The summary is:

- Overlayfs instead of dm-thin, continue to use XFS [2]
- Installer default partitioning changes needed
- Workstation may want to do the same thing

My take is to mimic what the cloud folks do, it'll make it easier to
do the installer change; easier to explain to anyone who cares about
such details; the test coverage will be broader.

What makes Workstation different down the road though, are upgrades.
How, and whether, conventional installs are converted @ upgrade time
to rpm-ostree based installs. So there may be a way to settle on a new
layout that works well for both conventional and rpm-ostree installs,
so that it's easier to do conversions at upgrade time, if that's a
plausible use case in the distant and shiny future.

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/cloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/IONJPL755KI5R67K7GHBEBD4Q3TRESP7/

[2]
The Docker device mapper storage driver uses XFS as the backing file
system on thinly provisioned storage; so this would be a file system
change for Workstation. It is possible to use ext4 on overlayfs, but
there's some eye glazing considerations about inodes, and such, that
you can ignore for now.

--
Chris Murphy