Re: Another Ars review

On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 20:54 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what you mean.  We consider the kernel for every
> schedule.  What we haven't done yet is hold up the release for a
> particular kernel.

^ That's what I mean. The kernel is pretty solid and you kernel folks
take care of it for us, so us desktop developers don't need to worry
about it or schedule around it (except in extraordinary
circumstances... Skylake support you say?).

> We often joke, but part of the burden of attempting to be first means
> we're the first to hit issues before other distros do (first to
> fail).
> I agree microcode_ctl should have been in testing longer than a day.
> Adding it to critpath would enforce that.  I think it's somewhat
> folly
> to assume that any reasonable amount of time in testing is going to
> catch every issue like this.

When I mentioned updates spending less than a day in testing, I meant
that in the general case; sorry it sounded like I implied that happened
to this particular update. In fact it looks like it spent two days in
testing. Still, I think it's reasonable that everything should spend at
least a week in testing.

Of course it won't catch every issue, but it would help....  (And it
probably would not have caught this one: it was hardware-specific, and
not triggered until the next kernel upgrade, and so it took over a week
for the first bug report to appear.)

Michael