Re: Consider tuned-gui as an important element for "advanced" users on the Fedora Workstation

On 07/14/2016 01:46 AM, Bastián Díaz wrote:
> Tuned is an excellent tool to monitoring system and apply profile-based
> configurations. This tool is very powerful and its use is relegated to the
> servers systems, however, it can be put to good use for fedora Workstation for
> users seeking advanced settings via a user interface (tuned-gtk).
>
> For example, a good use of tuned in the Workstation is the advanced power
> management, even with the possibility of using custom profiles through powerTOP
> (laptop users). My experience says that in most cases I have used systems tuned
> for that purpose, there has been an increase in battery life (is not the only
> use case).
>
> Part of my proposal considers:
> • Improve the design of tuned-gtk (like gnome-tweak-tool design)
> • Add categories to target profiles to facilitate user choice (Eg. Workstation,
> Cloud and Server)
> • Add/modify new default tuned profiles for desktop/laptop use, similar to those
> available in the "tuned-profiles-compat" package
> • Add settings to create a powerTOP profile or add it from a report (html file)

Just to note, the Cockpit administrative console supports tuned as "performance
profiles". They already have quite a few prebuilt profiles. Maybe working with
them would be a better choice than working on tuned-gtk, as it's already a more
modern interface and it works across all of the Editions (notably Server and
Cloud which are generally headless and therefore wouldn't really be good about
running a GTK app).

(see attached screenshot)