Re: Why isn't git installed in Workstation?

On 05/17/2016 11:27 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 10:04:41AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>>> https://twitter.com/SparksWG3K/status/730826470147428352
>>>
>>> This seems like a perfectly good question to me.  Far and away the
>>> preferred VCS, and it's not like it wastes a ton of disk space.
>>
>> I'm +1 to adding git
>>
>> We're currently discussing in #fedora-workstation the pro's and cons of
>> including just git-core or git (which also pulls in perl).  I'm ok either
>> way.
>
> FWIW, the difference according to dnf info is git-core is about 17 MB
> on disk, while git adds:
>
> * itself (2.2 MB on disk)
> * git-core-doc (11+ MB on disk)
> * 3 Perl modules (~150 KB on disk)
>
> Perl is already present, so there's not a huge dep stack coming in
> when I install 'git' on F24 Beta, just three modules.
>
> The discussion in IRC seems to indicate we're not as worried about
> bloat as we are about providing useful tooling out of the box.
>
> I'll file a pull request for comps for this since we have the votes.

Is git-core-doc a strict requirement? (If it was, I would think that git-core
would be requiring it, not 'git'). Maybe we could make that a Recommends: and
not include it on the install media? That certainly seems like the largest savings.

Of course, the obvious tradeoff is the lack of documentation...