Re: More test coverage for Boxes

Michael Catanzaro píše v St 11. 05. 2016 v 08:03 -0500:
> On Wed, 2016-05-11 at 14:20 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > An addition to the original message: today I stumbled on a comment
> > from
> > a user who was very disappointed with F24 Beta saying that even
> > basic
> > things such as starting up an app didn't work for him in F24.
> > In the end, it turned out that it was because he was running Fedora
> > in
> > GNOME Boxes. It was difficult to explain him that Fedora doesn't
> > run
> > well in our default desktop VM tool and that F24 Beta is actually a
> > great release, he should give it another try in a different tool.
>
> Why are apps not starting? Is there a bug report? I've *never* had
> any
> trouble running Fedora in Boxes. This sounds like a serious
> regression.

F24 Alpha didn't work in F23's Boxes at all, not only for me, but for
others around me in the office.
Now, I'm already on F24 now and the experience is:
login screen is flickering and I can't click any button on the login
screen, I have to choose my account and log in using keyboard. When I
log in I get a black screen with only thing: clock on the top panel, by
trying I figured out that switching Boxes to full screen and clicking
randomly on the black screen I make it somehow re-render the screen and
it finally works.

Frankly, I don't know what info to collect to make a useful bug report.
I believe it can be hardware specific, but I've never had such issues
with virt-manager. The only long-term solution is to work with the QA
to make sure that it gets enough test coverage and provides the best VM
experience with Fedora. Right now, QA don't use Boxes because it's not
as useful to them as virt-manager and they're not sure if the bugs and
RFEs they report will be looked into and thus it worth the effort.

Jiri