Re: More test coverage for Boxes

Jiri Eischmann píše v Čt 14. 04. 2016 v 13:54 +0200:
> Hi,
> Boxes is the pre-installed solution for VMs on Workstation, but it
> doesn't get as much attention as it should.
> Currently development composes of F24 don't even work in Boxes on
> F23,
> so users who'd like to test F24 in the default VM app are out of
> luck.
> It clearly violates one of the release criteria:https://fedoraproject
> .o
> rg/wiki/Fedora_24_Beta_Release_Criteria#Guest_on_current_stable_relea
> se
>
> The problem is that even though Boxes is the default VM app in
> Workstation it's not among recommended Fedora virtualization tools
> the
> criteria is referring to: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_star
> te
> d_with_virtualization
> Fedora QA also use solely virt-manager and they only test Boxes from
> time to time to make sure the basic functionality works.
>
> Boxes have been here for some time, it's our default solution, we
> should make sure it's the best working desktop VM on Fedora and work
> with Fedora QA on ways to improve the test coverage. I think we
> should
> start with adding Boxes to recommended virt tools. Does anyone have
> an
> idea if it needs to go through some committee or is it just "go ahead
> and edit" wiki page?
>
> Jiri
> --

An addition to the original message: today I stumbled on a comment from
a user who was very disappointed with F24 Beta saying that even basic
things such as starting up an app didn't work for him in F24.
In the end, it turned out that it was because he was running Fedora in
GNOME Boxes. It was difficult to explain him that Fedora doesn't run
well in our default desktop VM tool and that F24 Beta is actually a
great release, he should give it another try in a different tool.

Jiri