Re: Versioning Fedora-built xdg-apps and runtimes

On mån, 2016-04-25 at 15:45 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 16:55 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > This is a bit problematic for fedora, as historically we've been
> > pretty gung-ho about version updates in the middle of a stable
> > release. The runtime will be smaller and more core though, so
> > perhaps
> > it will see less of such updates.
> Without any actual data to back it up, I don't think the types of
> libraries that appear in the runtime actually get non-bug-fix updated
> during a stable release very often.

True.

> What I'm mostly concerned about is the devel phase where libraries
> *should* be getting updated, dependencies added, and so forth. Is the
> user experience going to be very bad here if the apps get out of sync
> with the runtime, with apps refusing to start or crashing obscurely?

This is similar to the "nightly build" of the gnome runtime and apps,
which builds nightly from git master. If the app and the runtime go out
of sync there is no guarantees (not that git master has any guarantees
anyway).

> Maybe gnome-software simply needs to check for a newer available
> version of a runtime when installing an application that uses a
> runtime.

So, yeah, its probably always best if gnome-software ensure that
whenever it updates an app it updates the runtime to the latest
version.

> > For the gnome runtime and app releases I'm using two branches. One
> > is
> > "master" which gets a new build from git every day, and the other
> > is
> > "stable" which gets builds of the latest released version. That
> > way,
> > if you install the stable one you will automatically get updates.
> >
> > ostree doesn't currently support tags, so there is no clean way to
> > get a particular (old) version of an app. Technically one could
> > make
> > a branch for each release, but that is a bit unclean imho (and it
> > explode the size of the repo lists).
> Do you think there should be a field in the metadata that is a
> version
> string provided at build time (not implying any comparison), so that
> tool could look at a repo and show the old versions on a branch in
> some
> human readable form? Or should that be in the ostree commit message?

I dunno if this should go in the metadata. General user readable
version information go in the appdata file, and it seems putting things
into the ostree commit is a better approach.

I'm not sure using the ostree commit message is a great idea though,
its freeform and we should keep it so. Instead we could use a custom
metadata field in the commit. Ostree has a generic extension mechanism
for this.

Basically, you'd do:
  ostree commit --add-metadata-string=xa.build_name=gedit-3.20.1-1fc24
or something like that. Of course, we'd have to plumb that into xdg-
app, maybe as a generic metadata thing or a specific thing for this (or
both).

> > > * We probably will be creating some sort of bundles when we build
> > > apps and runtimes in Koji. (This is what my prototype does using
> > > the existing xdg-app ostree delta format.) What do we use for
> > > filenames for these bundles? The RPM nvr of the application
> > > itself
> > > doesn't tell the story because of the bundling of dependencies
> > > in the application. Is the filename just based off the hash of
> > > the
> > > xdg-app like ‘eog-f23-d3dafc9cf48.xdgapp’?  Do we add a build-
> > > serial to make it clear what bundle is newer - e.g. ‘eog-f23-14-
> > > d3dafc9cf48.xdgapp’ ?
> > Having a build serial seems useful, but that implies some kind of
> > permanent storage of how many builds each app has. Do we really
> > have
> > that?
> Something could be added to the koji database, or we could even just
> use the koji task ID - that would be more like:
>
>  eog-f23-13799291-d3dafc9cf48.xdgapp
>
> But still would allow comparison.

Ah, globally unique via task id rather than an incremental per-app
number. Seems good to me.