Re: Versioning Fedora-built xdg-apps and runtimes

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We've been working on the idea that we should have a way to take Fedora RPMs and
convert them into xdg-app runtimes and applications; by doing this inside of Koji
we would be able to pretty transparently provide a set of xdg-apps for many
existing applications in Fedora.

(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/BuildingXdgApps tries to work out
possible details.)

I have an initial prototype of this working with a branch of Koji
(https://pagure.io/fork/otaylor/koji/commits/xdg-app, still rough), and that
raised some questions to me about around versioning:

* How should the fedora runtime be versioned? Is each Fedora release (23,24,25)
  a separate branch in the repository? (I'm not entirely sure if the "branch"
  of the runtime the same as "runtime-version" that is part of
  the xdg-app app metadata?)

* What happens if we evolve the Fedora runtime during the development release -
  say we add a new package to it that we find we are repeatedly bundling into
  applications. Can we make the behavior for the user better than simply having
  xdg-apps that rely on the new package in the runtime die with obscure error
  messages?

* How should apps generated from Fedora packages be versioned? Presumably we don’t
  want each Fedora version to be a branch in this case, since we want automatic
  updates. Are refs pointing to devel/testing/stable versions are something
  added post-build into the repository?

* We probably will be creating some sort of bundles when we build apps and runtimes
  in Koji. (This is what my prototype does using the existing xdg-app ostree delta
  format.) What do we use for filenames for these bundles? The RPM nvr of the
  application itself doesn't tell the story because of the bundling of dependencies
  in the application. Is the filename just based off the hash of the xdg-app like
  ‘eog-f23-d3dafc9cf48.xdgapp’?  Do we add a build-serial to make it clear what bundle
  is newer - e.g. ‘eog-f23-14-d3dafc9cf48.xdgapp’ ?

Thanks,
Owen

A few questions about this

How will the Fedora versions of the runtimes be delivered to users? will Fedora have a ostree/xdg-app repository similar tohttps://sdk.gnome.org/repo/ ? and will this be configured and ready-to-go for users when they install an xdg-app?

If i try to install an xdg-app that uses a particular runtime, but i don't have that runtime installed, will this just be pulled down as a dependency? what happens if i try to install an xdg-app when the runtime isnt available on my system or in one of the repos i have installed?

cheers,
ryanlerch