Re: The status of Fedora Media Writer: postponed to F25

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:00:16 +0200, Christian Schaller <cschalle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the correct way to look at it is that we rewrote/updated
it for Fedora Workstation, including revising the UI to fit in
with UI paradigms of the desktop we ship in Workstation (GNOME).
That said we did not bother moving it to GTK+ as we could do what we
wanted while keeping it Qt, and with Qt's focus on being cross
platform we thought it would probably make things easier.
This last item did not work out as planned due to state of Qt Python bindings,
but C'est la vie.

Christian

While I'd understand that decision, there is still much less work to while sticking to Qt while using C++. Most of the code can be ported 1:1. If there's something implemented Python libraries, there's usually a Qt counterpart. There are some exceptions like reading data from the websites which should be possible to be done using jQuery directly (current code uses PyQuery which works on the same principle) and probably some bits here and there. C++/Qt also has the value added of having a complete and functional toolset for creating portable application packages on both Windows and Mac which should work without any tweaking. Overall I think using C++ would give us _much_ easier portability and more reliable codebase. Plus we'd have a smaller binary to distribute since it wouldn't require a Python interpreter.